If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What's Real?

“Gabrielle, you need to eat some real food.” This was what Linda said to our youngest last night as she lay on the floor crying, “I don’t want chili and I don’t want yogurt either.” Yogurt is our go to offer should one of our children decide they’re hungry before bedtime.

To a visitor this scene might have prompted the question, “Real food? I didn’t notice the child gnawing on a piece of plastic fruit. What do you mean, ‘Real Food?’ I’m not a visitor though, and have long since begun compiling clues into the mystery of Linda’s claim for real food.

The very first clue came early on in our relationship while on a road trip from Utah to California to visit my family. It’s a thirteen-hour drive meaning we would eat along the way. Several times. The logical answer to food while road tripping is fast food - it’s cheap and, well, fast. And while I can comfortably eat fast food every day of my life, Linda prefers it only occasionally. In fact, I can eat the same identical fast food meal from the same fast food chain for weeks on end without skipping a beat, while for Linda, occasionally actually means not really very often at all. It was on this, our first road trip that I heard Linda’s plea for the first time, “I need some real food.” This was ground zero, the beginning, clue numero uno - “Real Food” is not fast food and cannot be found on the road. Especially from the comfort and convenience of the driver’s seat.

Years later it was my brother-in-law Dave who asked the question, “What is it with the ‘Real Food’ thing? What do you call this?” It was a legitimate question, posed between bites of a Krispy Kreme donut. Our two families were vacationing together in Florida which, frankly, begged the plea, “I need ‘Real’ anything.” We were on a whirlwind trip with a single week to cover Disneyland, The Epcot Center, Cape Canaveral, Sea World and Krispy Kreme Donuts for the third breakfast in a row. At this point even one of my daughters chimed in, whining, “Dad we need real food.” Clue #67 - Real Food is not donuts for breakfast, at least not more than once a week.

So last night, while Gabrielle lay on her back on the kitchen floor spinning circles and crying, “I want a granola bar, I want chips, but I don’t want yogurt,” clue #394 fell into place. Real Food is not chips and a granola bar for dinner.

3 comments:

linda October 7, 2009 at 6:56 AM  

was I really complaining about fast food that long ago? well, now I can't eat fast food at all so it is always about REAL FOOD now.

For the record - Gabrielle is the only one of our girls who shuns real food.

David,  October 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM  

Ironically, a Pizza 73 add came up on your blog.

I'm hungry.

Muno October 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

I am eating "real" & homemade flax chips while reading this and hoping they pass the test. I love them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.