If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

NASCAR aint so tough

Most people I work with eat on the second floor of our building, buying pre-made sandwiches and drinks from what they refer to as “the coffee cart.” The cart is actually an “L” shaped counter permanently attached to the floor with a cooler on one for the sandwiches and drinks. The girl working behind the counter is slight of build with dark medium length hair and she never smiles. I think she’s bored. I have never bought more than an occasional drink from the cart preferring to go out for lunch where I can spend a few minutes away from my desk.


Yesterday as I sat down to eat a very tall man caught my attention. He wore a black leather bomber jacket with the NASCAR logo embroidered across the chest. Alongside the orange,red and blue NASCAR logo was a second embroidery for the television network ‘TNT’, which presumably is where one might find NASCAR races. His hair was honey blond and feathered back from a part down the center and sported stripey highlights. The jeans this man wore were skin tight making his thin frame appear even thinner. What really caught my eye, though were the boots that his skinny legged jeans were tucked in to. They were black like his jacket with long pointed toes capped with decorative silver tips. Thin leather straps wrapped around at the ankles and had silver stars hanging along their length making a sort of star anklet. Rather than cowboy boots, which would have been forgettable and never would have caught my attention, these boots were loose around the man’s legs. I would have guessed these were women’s boots if they hadn’t been so large. Like fairy boots for grown men, prompting the thought, “House divided.” Tough NASCAR guy up top, dainty fairy boot prancer on the bottom half.

I really enjoy my lunchtime.

1 comments:

David,  November 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

Reminds me of the "People of Walmart."

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.