If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Reuse-aphobia


I think it’s fair to say that freaks come in all shapes and sizes, but at our local market they tend to come in clumps. This is a boutique market containing it’s own in-store barbeque which serves up smoky goodness in salmon, steak, and chicken. There’s also a deli counter reminiscent of New York City and made to order Chinese take-out. The butcher is actually a butcher and offers personal cuts of meat and on weekends there’s even a wine steward to help with one’s pairing.

Linda and I use it more for convenience than full blown groceries but after seven years of popping in a few times a week and several times on Saturday, we’ve become friends with a few of the checkers.

One in particular, Brittany, is especially chatty and if pressed even the slightest, loves to dish. A while back is noticed a woman a couple spots ahead of me in line with a cart full of toilet paper and decided to ask Brittany when my turn came. The carts in our market aren’t the true full-sized versions like those found in more pedestrian grocery stores, but still, the cart was piled quite high.

“Hey Brittany, what’s up with the toilet paper?” I asked.

“Oh her? Well. . .” And what I came away with was shocking. It seems this woman is a germaphobe mixed with a fear of who knows what. Apparently she buys a cartload of toilet paper each week because she is only willing to use each roll one time. Once finished with her business, whatever remains on the roll is discarded and replaced with a fresh, virgin roll.

I’m not exactly sure how Brittany discovered this little tidbit but the good news is, TP woman has a son and he’s more messed up than his mother.

1 comments:

The Winns November 12, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

I'm pretty sure you are talking about my old neighbors! The guy with the santa beard and huge motorcycle? She'd take a taxi every week to get more toilet paper.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.