If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Pearl Jam - Backspacer


I can’t imagine working through a season of design without music. Good music inspires me so I’m constantly on the hunt for something new. My tastes are fairly broad ranging from Elvis Costello to Black Sabbath and from the Kings of Leon to the Kinks. The only music I really don’t like is country, which in my opinion is fingernails on the chalkboard.

Several years ago I got on this Brazilian jazz kick and discovered Baden Powell. His father was a huge Boy Scouts of America fan and named Baden after the founder of modern day scouts. I’d highly recommend checking some of his music out but today would like to talk about the new Pearl Jam album Backspacer.

I own 4 or 5 of Pearl Jam’s albums and find I usually enjoy about half of the songs on any particular album. Sure, Ten is phenomenal but outside of that I find about half their work is, for me, just OK. Within the Seattle grunge genre I’d much rather listen to Nirvana or Sound Garden both whose lead singers fascinate me.

I bought Backspacer last week on a Monday while on my way into work and began listening to it on the rest of the drive in. I have to say, there isn’t a song on this new album I don’t like. Give it a listen while I give it 5 stars.

On the music front, who can't you live without?

3 comments:

linda November 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

james taylor, cat stevens and dave matthews. I like lots of other stuff but without the big 3 I may as well toss my i-pod. By the way - don't even think of making fun of me for liking Dave Matthews. I love him and I am sick of people acting like they are too cool for him. whatever.

Black Sabbath? really?

David,  November 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

Thanks on the PJ review. It's on my list.

I am pretty varied in my preferences and it seems to go in waves. For fun, after reading your blog, I went to my car to see what CD's I had in the changer - Cold Play, Foo Fighters, LIVE, Sam Roberts (a Canadian Artist and highly recommended), Smashing Pumpkins, and Dance Mix 2007 (I am kidding about the last one).

But it does vary for me. Last month I was on a Reggae tear and the month before that, Broadway Show Tunes (Yes, I am kidding about this as well...or am I?).

By the way, I like some of Dave Matthews as well so I say, "Stick to your guns, Linda."

Justin + kelly November 13, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

I dont think there is any ONE that I cant live without, just songs...like Journey "Dont stop believe'n" (sorry, I know, but its a favorite), U2 "Pride", and maybe Snow Patrol "Chocolate". I love Rush, Tim Mcgraw and Goo Goo Dolls,but they are all much better in concert.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.