If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Blacklisted

Yesterday Linda asked me to drop by Costco to pick up some plastic wrap. We like the kind they carry because it comes in a 3,000-foot roll and tends to cling better than some of the other brands we’ve tested. While there I decided to have a look around and shortly found myself in the tool aisle after a quick perusal of the book table. It was here, in the tool aisle where I recognized an older gentleman dressed in slacks and a pair of nice loafers. I had seen him on my way into the store and it seems he, like me, had been browsing a few different sections of Costco before arriving in front of the tools.

While I looked at the air compressors he looked at a set of screwdrivers, a set that claimed, “Over 150 different parts.” I’ve looked at this same set before but decided against so many bits and pieces. This man’s hair was a chalky grey and was parted severely down the side creating a very straight line of hair across his forehead. Later I would remember thinking he reminded me of the kind of men I’d seen while traveling to Germany for business but at the moment I was distracted by the most warbly fart I’ve ever heard, which, was produced without breaking stride. By this point we were both moving again, me behind him - and closing.

My wife Linda isn’t a fan of the word ‘moist’ and in fact has compiled quite a list of words she wishes had never been invented. At times, though, one of these blacklisted words fits perfectly and must be used. This was one of those times, I thought to myself, as I walked into a moist cloud of such nastiness that it literally brought tears to my eyes.

5 comments:

Trevor January 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

I too hate the very existence of the word "moist". But in your case, it seems that not only was the putrid air moist, maybe your eyes were just a little moist?

Christian Darby January 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

Sure, I could have used an impressive word like 'malodorous' but there was a wetness in the air, you know - it was, well, moist.

David,  January 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

Without the word moist, how would you describe Linda's baking? Clammy? Dampish? Humid?

Christian Darby January 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

David, In a word - Perfection.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.