If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Nail Biter


In college and even before that, I bit my nails. I’ve always been a nail biter. I prefer nipping at the corner of the nail then tearing the unwanted portion off rather than chewing them down to the quick. It just seems cleaner.

When I first met Linda and we were becoming friends, she noticed my habit and mentioned, “Um, you bite your nails.” It wasn’t the statement itself that conveyed her feelings but the body language that accompanied the moment, which suggested, “You’re gross.” As I remember it, she followed things up with the word “nasty.”

Because I liked her I stopped. Then, after she fell for me, I picked back up where I’d left off.

The other evening while watching a bit of TV, Linda looked over and said, “You know they make these things called nail clippers.”

Maybe I should consider stopping again, I still like Linda after all.

3 comments:

David,  January 11, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

I am not sure for how many years I held my gas in when I was dating Elise. Maybe two? After we got married things changed. Thankfully we are still married so there were other redeeming features that I offered that offset the less desirable ones. I think.

By the way, biting your nails is gross.

Christian Darby January 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

Personally, I see a large distinction between "nipping and tearing" and "chewing" one's nails. Chewing is gross and to me is the equivalent of chewing one's hair. Do people that chew hair and nails then eat it?

linda January 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

there is a reason that they make nail clippers. Biting/chewing/tearing your nails is gross. I wish you and the children in our family that bite their nails would all quit. It is a nasty habit. I won't say anything about David's (or your) gas. THAT is a losing battle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.