If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, January 25, 2010

He's Baaaack


On Sunday after church when Johnson grabbed my arm and said, “Hold on a minute young man,” then finished a conversation he’d begun earlier with some other unsuspecting bystander; I thought he was going to yell at me for last week’s blog post about his penchant for women’s perfume. Ordinarily I’m not afraid of adult males over the age of 70 but frankly, Johnson scares me. Maybe it’s the way his eyes look oversized and fish-like behind his 1/4” thick glasses or the way he quivers just before he shouts at me. Or maybe the way he clinches my arm just below the elbow every time he speaks to me. Either way, I’ve been avoiding him.

“I have something I want to talk t o you about,” he said and then he let me sweat for a second.

“OK.”

“I bought two new chairs and I have the old ones in the garage. They’re armchairs and they’re nice.” The implication was clear, ‘Yes, they’re old to me and I’ve replaced them with a much nicer set, but as far as you’re concerned, they’re better than anything you’ll find elsewhere. And don’t question me on that.’ He continued, “Why don’t you come by the house and take a look at them? They’d be perfect for a couple of your girls.”

Until a couple of weeks ago, I wasn’t sure Johnson even knew who I was. I now wondered if he knew who my daughters were. Each is quite small for her age and people often comment with things like, “Wow that little girl is 11?” or “Your children are all so tiny.” I’m not sure what they expect, neither Linda nor I are big, yet still, they go on and on as though two parents standing on the smaller side of the human growth chart should have given birth to a pack of giants.

Size aside and regardless of the chairs real condition, what do four little girls need with a couple of used armchairs?

7 comments:

David Jones January 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

I have been reading your blog for a couple of month now.. that was funny

Lisa,  January 25, 2010 at 11:59 AM  

Hahaha, that's hilarious! I love that he chose you guys out of everyone at church to have the pleasure of owning his chairs! Come on, you should have said yes, I bet they smell like the perfume:)

linda January 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

hahaha! maybe he feels bad for all of the glaring looks he has given us for years or maybe because he glares at us he wants us to take his smelly old chairs that are sitting in his stinky garage.

Christian Darby January 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

David,

Nice to have you around. Thanks for the compliment.

David,  January 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

I'm just curious what the chairs smell like? Flowers or Old Spice?

Christian Darby January 26, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

David, for the answer to that, see http://ashmarlin.blogspot.com/2010/01/roses-are-red.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.