If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

See This? It Hurts.


As a kid, maybe when I was six, I jumped off the stage at our church and sprained my ankle. It was in the evening, as I remember it, following our usual church services. My parents were visiting with friends in the lobby when the news arrived and their response was something I became quite used to hearing, “I’m sure you’re fine,” they said. My father is a doctor and after a closer examination of my swollen ankle added, “If you don’t slow down you’re going to really pay for it later, when you’re older.”

The weekend before beginning the fourth grade I shattered my upper jaw, broke my nose, and nearly lost my upper four front teeth. This particular injury introduced me to casts for teeth, which I wore for four months. It was putty colored and closely resembled the color of juicy fruit gum. For kicks I’d flash my toothy cast in class then wait for my teacher’s reprimand, “No gum chewing, Christian. Spit it out.” What I didn’t have to wait for was parents and the one about slowing down or paying for it later.

At twelve I broke my little toe and at fifteen I cracked my sternum; each bringing the same response, “You’ll be fine but you’d better slow down or you’re gonna pay.” When I was eighteen I broke my left foot while skateboarding. I cracked a bone my father the doctor referred to as the ‘cuboid’, which is cube shaped and apparently takes a lot to break. Then we consulted with a surgeon about putting a pin in place where I heard him say, “I can fix this but you’re gonna feel it later.”

This wasn’t the last bone I broke, in fact things got much worse in the injury department long before they improved. Each time, though, I effectively ignored the warning and continued merrily along.

Last night as I got up from the couch I let out a little whimper. When Linda asked if I was OK I responded that my entire body always hurts. “I mean what’s wrong with me?” I asked. “My hip hurts so bad I’ve been limping for 3 weeks. My left foot aches nearly constantly. I wake up in the night with so much pain in my shoulder and wrists I can’t go back to sleep.” And then I added, “What did I ever do to deserve this kind of constant pain?”

Hmmmm.

3 comments:

linda January 19, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

this is what you get for not being afraid of anything - and not realizing that older hits you way sooner than you think.

David January 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM  

Sounds like a well-oiled machine of fitness and physique. A concept I'm quite familiar with.

David...ugh... Ure,  January 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

I am going to assume the 'David' above is the 'other' Ure. Can't you call yourself something else?

I rode Motocross for a number of years in my youth (not sure how many due to the number of crashes), fell off two roofs that I can remember (concussions will do that), and took a petrified log in the head (I have the scar to prove it and the memory of that - it happened last May). I never broke a bone.

Until I was playing squash. Apparently it was full combat squash because I broke my leg.

Still hobbling in Canada.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.