If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Snow in Dallas?


My trip to Dallas last week was supposed to be in-and-out, a quick out-and-back to see a few golf courses and visit a few accounts.

On Tuesday morning the weather prediction was for a slight chance of snow for Thursday morning, “This will most likely be a quick dusting and turn to rain by lunch,” the weatherman assured us. Tuesday was partly sunny with a high of 39º. The average for this time of year in Dallas is 59º so while the day was cold, it was dry leaving me inclined to believe the weatherman.

On Wednesday morning the forecast changed to include the likelihood of snow well into the afternoon on Thursday but nothing to really worry about. I toured a few courses while wondering about my Thursday afternoon departure. Wednesday night the weatherman suggested it might begin snowing a bit earlier and should be considered cause for concern. “It’s likely that we’ll begin getting snow around 3:00 am which may last till late into the day,” he said. “We may get a good inch or two which could turn to ice Thursday night,” he added.

By Thursday morning there was at least 3 inches on the ground. It was at this point I knew things were not going my way.

My flight was intended to depart DFW at 4:20 pm but things did not look promising. My airline had already cancelled 150+ flights by this point. We pulled back from the gate around 5:00 then taxied for 2 1/2 hours waiting in the line to be de-iced. At the second in line position our pilot came on with an update, “Well folks we’ve finally made it to the front of the line. We’re next up to be de-iced but I have some bad news. I just hit my 14 hour FAA regulated maximum so we’re going back to the gate.” We taxied 30 minutes to get back to the gate followed by another half hour waiting to deplane. Another hour waiting in line while the airline searched for a fresh replacement crew before telling us the flight was cancelled.

By this time the hotels were full and the roads solid ice. Dallas got 14 1/2 inches of snow breaking a record set in 1914.

I spent the night in the airport and at 2:00 am while wandering around the terminal decided weathermen are a joke.

1 comments:

David,  February 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

Planes. Trains, and Automobiles.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.