If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Spelling Bee


I was talking to my brother about nothing specific the other day while on my way to work. We like to catch up a few times a week and on this particular morning the topic turned to each other’s blogs. While I have just the one, it seems he starts a new one every other day making it difficult for me to keep up. He suggested I check out his newest effort and when I was having a hard time with the spelling of the address said, “Just do a search for it on Google. I’ve got both the number one and number two spot for my latest post.” When I asked what I should search for he answered, “Bear Grylls’ Sunglasses. Or you can search for Bear Grylls Oakleys, I have top spots for both of those.”

Totally unbelievable I thought, and then asked, “And how do I spell Grylls?”

“Dude, you don’t need to know how to spell anymore these days,” he offered the added, “ Google, man.”

While it’s true my spelling competence sits at about 5th grade level and I rely heavily on spell check; I like to think a basic grasp of spelling is important.

Next our conversation moved to Graham’s work and how the knife selling business was going. A few weeks ago I mentioned a co-worker was admiring my pocketknife and he offered to give her a discount. I asked if he’d seen any order come through in her name and he replied. “Just a minute, let me pull up our system and do a quick search.” After a minute or so of silence I wondered if we’d been disconnected before realizing the problem.

“You spell it P. A. M.”

8 comments:

graham February 18, 2010 at 7:39 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
graham February 18, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

Nice post btw do a google search for "bear grylls sunglasses" if you spell it wrong google will fix it

linda February 18, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

hahaha! It drives me crazy when people can't spell...

graham February 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

"hahaha! It drives me crazy when people can't spell..."

It drives me crazy when people can't run fast...

linda February 18, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

are you implying that I don't run fast?

graham February 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

No Linda I'm sure you can run fast. I just said that to see what you would say.

What drives you crazy about bad spelling? no really I want to know.

linda February 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

I hate it when people have blogs and they spell incorrectly or worse yet use words incorrectly - for example - when talking about a role they use the word roll. ugh. drives me bonkers. I also can't help it, it makes me think people are dumb when they can't spell. I personally think christian is brilliant but he can't spell at all. Luckily I thought all of his spelling errors in letter previous to marriage were just him being "unique".

by the way, I probably don't run very fast but I look super good when I run!

Christian Darby February 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

I woke up at 2:00 am this morning and didn't go back to sleep. I'm entirely too tired to respond to any of this.

Unique and all yours.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.