If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, September 4, 2009

Alden's All Natural


It’s no secret that I love ice cream. I have for as long as I can remember and I like it plain, unadulterated, topping free. While still in high school my mother was introduced, through a friend of a friend, to a black market source for purchasing ice cream in bulk. It came in 1/2 gallon plastic tubs and 2 1/2 gallon brown paper containers and was intended for ice cream parlors, which meant there was a minimum order. The word on the street was that most families would group together and spread the order between three or four homes but in my house we covered the spread single-handedly.

Every month or so my mother would hand me an order form with instructions to fill it out. “Just pick 15 or so flavors in the half gallon size and one or two of the 2 1/2 gallon size,” she’d say. We had two freezers and looking back I wonder if they were simply there to foster my habit. Later that day we’d meet in the garden out of earshot where we’d look from side to side before exchanging the form, X’s carefully marking each of my selections. Then just after dark she’d head to some back alley where she’d knock twice and ring once on an unmarked door and wait for further instructions. The order form would be slipped through a mail slot in the door and she’d be instructed to back the family van up to the loading dock. At least that’s how I remember it.

Since that time I’ve become quite a connoisseur of the creamy stuff. In Texas it was Blue Bell in California it was It’s-It. Any form, any location, I’ve always found the best.

Flavors are important too and in my book mint chocolate chip is about halfway down my scale, at best. For Linda, though, it’s number one - by a mile. Since I do the bulk of the consuming when it comes to ice cream I also carry the most weight when it comes to selecting and usually avoid mint chocolate chip. The other day though, in a moment of weakness I bought her a container of mint chocolate chip. Feeling whimsical I decided on a new brand called Alden’s Ice Cream touting all natural everything. All I can say is I have a new favorite and if you live in Oregon go get yourself some and enjoy the weekend. Their website doesn’t advertise the mint chocolate chip but trust me, it’s on the menu.

I give Alden’s Ice Cream Mint Chocolate Chip a 5 out of 5 stars.

What’s your favorite brand and flavor?

5 comments:

David,  September 4, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

I read this interesing blog once about a 'hump' that magically appeared over many years. I wonder if there is a connection to mass quantities of ice cream?


Strawberry or Cherry, although creamy Vanilla is very good.

linda September 4, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

David you make me laugh.

Alden's mint chip is dreamy. I also love almost any flavor made by Tillamook. Heaven i tell you. There is a reason I have to go to the gym all the time.

TUD September 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

Pistachio is a delight.

graham September 4, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

I just remember the ice cream came in a huge brown bag.
Love the ice cream mafia.

ZKC September 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

I'm a definite ice cream lover (although recently dairy isn't agreeing with me, but thats another story...), I never buy fruity flavors, its always Dreyers mint chocolate chip, cookie dough, or Ben and Jerry's anything that isn't berry or fruity.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.