If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My wife Linda has been asking me if I’d be willing to do a research and review on toaster ovens. About six months ago she was diagnosed with celiac disease, which has forced her to live quite differently. The short of it is her body cannot tolerate any gluten and the long version is, well, very, very long. Even the smallest of bread crumbs can make her sick for days which is why she’s in the market for a dedicated toaster. Traditional bread toast is out of the question but it’s replacement - a delicious white rice flour bread mix sounds better toasted. Seemingly innocuous things like Mentos have gluten along with soy sauce, pizza, and burritos. Reece’s sticks contain gluten while, thankfully Reece’s cups do not. Linda now shops armed with “the safe list” a 3 page single-spaced, two column affair clarifying whether all those odd, never before seen ingredient items will make her sick or not. I still don’t know what lecithin is but have come to know it as “safe”.

We’ve already established I have eating issues and can’t imagine what I would do if I had been the one with this new diagnosis. Linda in general is an extremely healthy eater while I am not. “What did you eat for lunch?” she asked me yesterday.


“Jack-in-the-Box,” I answer, mumbling because I know what she’s going to say.

“Nice. Sounds yummy.”

I like their tacos, though and can’t help it. It's a dirty little secret I satiate every so often hoping Linda won't think to ask what I've eaten for lunch that day. So while I definitely have my eating issues I’ll admit that I’m quite comfortable dipping down to the bottom of the barrel of the culinary world where I’m also comfortable peeling back the crust collecting and the bottom of said barrel and licking up the leavings.

By the way, I’m pretty sure down at the bottom of the barrel, underneath the crust that has formed is where Jack-in-the-Box harvests the grease they use to deep-fry the tacos I love.

What sick thing do you love to eat? And don't lie, everyone has a dirty little secret they love to eat.

2 comments:

graham September 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

Glad to see you admitting the food is just as good down here at the bottom. I like anything deep fried.

Rob,  September 23, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Man...I miss the JITB fried tacos. Alas, St George is the nearest location.

I'll have to still to my other vices - Grandmy B's Pink Cookies and Zingers (Vanilla and the extremely rare Butterscotch.)

Word Verification: "Uriin"

That's nice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.