If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, September 11, 2009

Julie & Julia - Review

I’m convinced that at birth I got my wires crossed. Somehow some kind of chemistry soured or maybe my brain sent out a mixed signal during early development because no matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, I cannot stand food noises. Chips munched, cereal slurped, crisp crudités crunched - all of it drives me absolutely crazy. Sigmund Freud might blame it on my mother but when she came to visit last week it was me who suggested we go to a movie.


We went to see Julie & Julia, once again my suggestion, and why not? It came highly recommended by my wife Linda and our good friend Jeff. “Go see it they said, you’ll love it. Meryl Streep is incredible.” And she was. She took the role of Julia Child and filled it so well I caught myself wondering if, in fact Meryl Streep was Julia Child. I mean, she is old enough and while I don’t remember seeing much of Julia Child on television maybe they’re actually the same person. It sounds crazy but she really was that good.

Oddly, though, they never said much about the ‘Julie’ character played by Amy Adams - yuck. And even worse still was the guy who spent the entire film eating Julie’s cooking - LOUDLY. Frankly it ruined the movie for me. What was I thinking voluntarily going to a movie about eating food? Slurping, crunching, smacking and lip licking, it was all just a bit too much for me.


I give Julie & Julia 2 out of 5 stars (it would have been a negative 5 but Meryl Streep really did do an incredible job).

5 comments:

linda September 11, 2009 at 9:22 AM  

I loved how voraciously he attacked the food and loved it! I didn't even think about how much it would annoy you until the movie started. Isn't it funny how different we all are?

stephanie,  September 11, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

I think I have the same gene as you!

Christian Darby September 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

Yeah, and Trevor just posted a comment on Facebook about my blog - he suffers from the same affliction. Potluck made fun as a result of the gene pool. Maybe this is why I don't like dips - they're all associated with crunchy stuff for dipping.

David,  September 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

Can't wait to have dinner with you all again. I will make sure to make it memorable.

Muno September 17, 2009 at 2:21 AM  

I can't figure out where you kids came from. I remember when it started. Surprised it has continued. But then, I remember my mother cracking her jaw as she ate....ummmmm

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.