If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, September 18, 2009

Patrick Swayze - A Review

I have four daughters and they, along with their mother, love everything dance. ‘The 5 Ladies’ as I refer to them, have weekend dance sessions in the kitchen while I either stand on the sidelines waving a flashlight during the “lights out” portion of the session or I make myself scarce. It’s not that I dislike dance, I just don’t love it the way they do. For the past year or so, they have also watched the television show ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ during which, again, I generally make myself scarce.

In the dance movie category there seems to be one that stands alone - ‘Dirty Dancing.’ Ask Linda and she can tell you the time and place, what she wore and how her hair was done the first time she saw this movie. “Oh, I remember I was in junior high and. . .,” but by then I’ve drifted off. I’ve never seen ‘Dirty Dancing’ and really have no interest in ever seeing it. I realize I might be the lone citizen of these United States who hasn’t seen this dance classic, but that’s fine by me.


In my mind I will always remember Patrick Swayze for his classic sketch with Chris Farley while they ham it up on SNL as Chippendale dancers. To me there’s nothing better than stretching out on the couch turning Saturday afternoon and finding ‘Next of Kin’ or ‘Roadhouse’ on TNT. And for that I can even overlook his sweet hairdo from the Chippendale thing.

So while Linda will remember Patrick for his work in ‘Dirty Dancing’ and I’ll remember him alongside Chris Farley and kicking butt in the Deep South, what will you remember him for?

I give Patrick 5 out of 5 stars. (As a bonus, here’s a reminder of what we’ll miss tracked with Linda’s favorite song.)

4 comments:

Trevor September 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

I miss Mr. Farley more than I can tell you. Oh, wait, I guess I miss Patrick too. But mostly Farley.

linda September 18, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

hahaha. I watched that movie over and over and over again. At this point I have no idea why. I love that sketch with Chris Farley though. Christian - Halloween idea?

David,  September 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM  

Halloween Idea? Christian as Swayze or Farley (Da Bears!).

Christian Darby September 18, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

If I keep up with the ice cream and candy it'll be Farley. If I can actually make it back to the gym between now and Halloween it might just be Swayze. But then there's the hair - not gonna happen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.