If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What's in a name?

Today at work while discussing apparel construction techniques with one of our pattern makers, she mentioned taking the train to Seattle over the weekend. It was off the subject, yet still, she continued, “So I was about halfway there when I noticed these four nerdy types larping with an iPhone.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“Well, you know, they were using the iPhone in place of dice. You can do that with those things, they shake and all. They’re incredible.”

“Uh,. . . I’m talking about how you just slipped in “larping” like it was no bid deal. What is that?”

She explained that it stood for “Live Action Role Playing” then threw in, “Everyone knows that, Christian.”

I didn’t.

Some of you are probably asking a similar question, “What or who is an Ashmarlin?”

Here’s the thing, it’s just a name, nothing more, nothing less. Back in college a friend and I had this great idea we’d start a clothing line. I imagined we could start small, maybe make a few select pieces and grow from there. He, on the other hand envisioned multiple collections from the start then followed it up with the statement, “We’ll put JCrew out of business.” He said this in a frenzy, the sort one imagines being used when referring to taking over the world and is always followed by an evil laugh. And just like that I lost interest and we went our separate ways. Ashmarlin is the name I came up with for what I imagined would be a quaint little apparel brand and it seemed fitting for my quaint little blog that I hope, someday, will take over the world.

4 comments:

Rob,  September 2, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

"...my quaint little blog that I hope, someday, will take over the world."

Or at least put JCrew out of business.

Trevor September 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

is that the same friend who never would leave a tip, and in fact would use everyone else's tip to pay for his own meal. Damn Jim anyway.

linda September 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

it better take over the world - when i married you I had certain expectations...

doyle September 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

if your blog is going to take over the world, you need a few things: close-up shots of every day food - like a cut-up apple, slightly blurred, with captions like - 'organic, home-grown autumn harvest apple', you need some photos of vintage aprons, and a few self-deprecating-but-in-reality-self-aggrandizing quotes about parenting or fitness or something.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.