If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Crack and Crunch


My older brother Cameron has been injured. He called to tell me about it on Saturday while driving home, a bit loopy from the meds he was on. It seems he was backpacking with a group of kids from church and decided it was a good idea to jump down a waterfall. When his foot found the jagged rocks below he heard the crack. “Christian, it hurt so bad. I actually heard my foot snap,” he said. “In fact, I think it cracked and crunched - and I heard both.”

It was at this point in his story that I thought to myself, “Ha, it serves you right for being out of shape.” I quickly followed this thought up with another, “How does one get in shape for jumping down a waterfall and into perilously jagged rocks below?” And besides, I can’t really talk as the title holder in the ‘Broken Parts Olympics' competing in a family of 7 children. Wrists, feet, ribs and face - I’ve broken more things than anyone I know. Sure we’ve all heard of the guy who’s broken every bone in his body in a motorcycle accident, but really, has anyone ever met that guy? Seen him with their own two eyes? I sure haven’t.

Cameron had the fortune of having a doctor in his camp and after examining the injury the doctor decided he’d suffered a broken foot. “Possibly in two places,” is what my brother reported in a floating around in the clouds sort of voice which, in turn, lead me wonder about Cameron’s claim of hearing both the “crack and crunch.” As a brother of pain, quite literally, I can relate though. Drugs or no drugs, he was hurting.

“Did you throw up dude,” I asked? “Because that’s the litmus test - you break a bone, nine times out of ten you throw up.” I won’t go into the one time it wasn’t true, which happened to my wife Linda in a bicycle accident. I insisted though, stuck with my theory, you know, and to this day I’m still paying for it. How was I to know flying over the handlebars could snap a wrist? I don’t really have any experience with delicate injuries.

Following a visit to the hospital, a two-man tug-of-war to straighten things out, a cast and x-rays it turns out there was no broken bones. He did suffer multiple torn ligaments and tendons and whatnot, which in my opinion is far worse. Once again, I know, I speak from experience.

A few years ago I tore my achilles tendon, which is the worst thing I’ve ever suffered through. I did it on the basketball court and to this day like to include when I recount the incident, “I heard it tear, in fact, everyone on the court heard it. And most of the guys were on the far end of the court.”

True story.

I don’t envy my brother Cameron; he’s got a lot of hard work ahead of himself. I’ve never met a harder worker in my life though, and that’s a fact. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes.

- Good Luck Cameron.

5 comments:

linda August 19, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

no, you didn't believe me did you. Kept insisting that I would have thrown up. Really sucked to be me then didn't it. And the achilles tendon - one of the worst things I've ever had to suffer through. oh man, just thinking about it makes me want to cry. you say good luck cameron, I say good luck melissa.

graham August 19, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

ouch! good luck Cameron.

Trevor August 19, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

my only question to Linda is, was it so terrible because you had to help him sit on his special shower seat?
Get well quick Cameron

lisa b.,  August 19, 2009 at 4:56 PM  

"Delicate injuries"??! My guess is you'll be paying for that comment too:)

David,  August 19, 2009 at 11:01 PM  

Funny thing this. Cameron e-mailed me before his trip. Here is my EXACT reply:

"HA! We keep missing each other. Glad to hear that you are hiking - means you will be ready for next year when I bug you to join me.

Angels may be currently closed as a woman died there the other day:

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/08/fall-angels-landing-zion-national-park-claims-life-california-woman

Be safe.

David"

That will be the last time I say that again because the boy just doesn't listen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.