If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, August 21, 2009

Research & Review - The Pen is mightier when it's MINE


My wife Linda has got this thing for pens. Well, pen anyway and until recently it had me worked into a jealous fit. She formed this little love affair about a year and a half ago with a pen called the ‘Sarasa’ which is made by a company called ‘Zebra’. She likes hers in the 0.7 size and they come in every color under the sun of which she owns at least two per color. I find them piled 12 deep in our junk drawer, next to the phone, and stuffed chock full into the pencil can sitting by the family computer. Each a little reminder that I myself don’t have my own special pen. Well, didn’t until recently when I laid claim to my own personal little gem.

I’ve been secretly on the hunt for months now all the while thinking, “I’m the one who should have my own signature writing tool not her. I mean, I’m the designer, right? I make my living sketching clothing and with what, the scraps I find laying around the office?” I was motivated.

I’m picky though and so my research took some time. A pen is something you have to hold in your hand and feel how it writes, you know, take it for a test drive. I had to put feet on the ground for this research project while all the while keeping it a secret from Linda. She might call during my lunch hour wondering how I was doing, find out what I was up to. “Oh nothing,” I’d say with a sly grin. “Just, you know, grabbing a bite.”

The pen I decided to call my very own is the ‘Itoya Finepoint System’ in a .4 just like in the picture. It writes nice enough but what really spoke to me was the name, “Now this is the pen for me, I mean it’s a ‘System’ for crying out loud. I deserve the complete package and not some simple click pen, don’t I,” I wondered?

My new writing system also has a really cool micro-texture which gives it a great feel in my hand and I’m really into grey right now so that’s a nice bonus. Pick one up for yourself.

I give this pen a 4.5 out of 5

4 comments:

linda August 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

If only I had known that you were jealous of my pen I would have shared. I can't wait to see the "system" in real life. Maybe I will have a NEW pen!

graham August 21, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

I'm hooked! Can't wait till next friday.

David,  August 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

I used to write a lot. Then I forgot how after years of using a keyboard.

Are you taking requests for product searches?

Christian Darby August 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

I've already had a request for next weeks Research & Review Friday so get your requests in fast. You never know, maybe I'll bump someone if I think yours is more interesting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.