If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Spend, spend, spend

If I plan on spending more than a couple bucks on something I tend to do a bit of research. And by a bit I mean a lot. I can squirrel away 73 hours simply in the weed out process while I determine if an object in question even merits serious consideration.

A year or so ago I was toying with the idea of selling my car which in turn meant I’d need a new one; which in turn lead to a little research. One night Linda interrupted my process with a question, “Are you looking up cars on the internet. . . again?”

“Yes.”

“Seriously? Do you realize we’re on vacation?”

I did, which is precisely why I felt entitled to a bit of relaxation - and research. While others may catch a television show or knit a baby cap to relieve stress, I do research. I find it’s a great way to relax and get a bit of work done at the same time. To most this may seem an oxymoron but to me it’s the bees knees. “And while I’ve got the search engine open,” I think, “why not check into a few future purchases as well. I know at some point I’ll be in the market for a new power tool and figure why not do a little checking while it’s convenient. Just scratch the surface you know. After all, I have the time, I’m on vacation.”

My siblings know about my knack for price/product exploration and tend to call me before making purchases of their own. Video cameras, lawn mowers, or kitchen appliances - they call me first. Conversations open with things like, “I’m looking for a new cell phone, what do you recommend?” and “My toaster just broke, do you know anything about a new one?” Recently my sister Stephanie called asking, “I can’t imagine you’ve been looking for a new washer and dryer but would you mind. . .?”

And I cut her off, “Look into some recommendations? I’m on it.” She knows as well as anybody that I deliver results.

On this note I’ve decided to add a weekly feature to my blog. I’m going to post it each Friday and I think I’ll call it ‘Research & Review’. I’ll just post a little piece about something I’m researching so we can all enjoy the benefits of useless knowledge about something you nor I will ever buy.

4 comments:

David,  August 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Looking forward to the Friday post. I am notorious for doing a ton of research on outdoor gear but then replacing it all in short order as something else piques my interest. Buy, sell, buy, sell. Repeat. Ironically, I get good deals and often come out ahead in my pocket. Nevertheless, Elise is not keen on the surfing. What is your secret and why is Linda so accomodating?

linda August 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

I love that research is your hobby. I believe you told me one time that intentions paved the way to hell. so, maybe you should start making something with your tools - I believe a bed is in order!

graham August 20, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

I can't wait for the friday posts.

Rob,  August 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

The internets are good for the researches, no?

I believe I've checked with you many times before buying something.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.