If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, August 10, 2009

Hump found - anxiously looking for original owner

“You eat like a bird, Christian.” This was what my grandmother said to me nearly every time I visited her. Her cooking wasn’t so bad but it was her tendency to break out a smorgasbord of leftovers when my brothers and I visited. A dozen or so tinfoil balls pulled from the freezer and defrosted for our dining pleasure. Mystery meals, we called them. I was in college at the time and generally saw my grandmother a few times a month. I lived across the way from my younger brother Trevor and he followed her statement with, “Christian is a camel for food. He’ll go forever without eating then every so often really fill up for another long haul.”

It’s true. Back in college I seemed to make the long haul more often than not. A couple of yogurts for lunch after skipping breakfast and I’d be good for the day. Should something convenient come up for dinner, great. If not, no problem. It was this feast or famine eating habit that contributed to my 3% body fat at the time. I had a roommate working on his masters of exercise physiology and for part of his thesis he needed a guinea pig to succumb to daily measurements for two weeks. I’m quick to bring up my scores, especially with Linda.

Just yesterday, in fact, I worked it into our conversation. It was a high point of my life and I like to remind her of it, “I was in really good shape back then, huh? 3% body fat, Linda, 3%.”

I was changing at the time, providing her with a nice profile angle and she answered, “Yeah, well you’re not 3% anymore!”

I looked down at my protruding belly sadly. The problem is I still eat like a camel, it just seems I’ve finally grown a hump.

I need a diet.

3 comments:

linda August 10, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

there are a lot more important things than 3% body fat. by the way - mine was 12% back in college and about 25 pounds thinner so who am I to point fingers?

David Ure (Canuck),  August 11, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

The extra bodyfat is from your experience. It adds up. Of course, so do the years. And wrinkles. Sorry about giving you something else to worry about.

Trevor August 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

You may be a dromedary (one humper) but I am working on the bactrian (double hump). Just call me DH.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.