If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Garage Sale

We found a plain white paper flyer in our mailbox today reading, “Ready. . .? Set. . .? To join in the fun?” Our neighbor Chris, who lives across the street, has been planning a street wide garage sale for weeks and must have decided these catchy flyers were all that was left to draw us in. He’s 60-ish and tends to blurt out demands in place of conversation. Socially we’re not horribly close but like catch up with one another a few times a week from across the street, which is how the garage sale invitation first arrived. I was emptying the trash when he shouted to me, “Christian, we’re doing a garage sale. It’ll probably be next week so make sure you’re ready.” It was clear he meant the “we” as in you and I.

Chris means well and is a fantastic neighbor but tends to forget simple boundaries, like a shut door. We first learned this a summer or two ago when it seemed he needed to borrow a tool. In his defense, he did give a quick knock before letting himself in while frantically shouting my name, “Christian, Christian, I need to borrow a pipe wrench.” When he didn’t find me in the living room he moved to the dining room followed by the kitchen, which was where Linda met him. Caught him, really. I would have liked to see the look on her face but was in the basement and missed the entire thing.

With the arrival of today’s flyer I’m worried if we don’t participate he’ll come knocking again. And we all know what that means.

2 comments:

Rob,  August 26, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

could have been worse - "pipe wrench" could have been "Lotrimin"

"Join in the fun"? - He's clearly never held a garage sale. "fun" is the furthest thing from my mind when I think of having a garage sale.

linda August 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

oh no, he has garage sales every couple of years and I can't tell you the crap he tries to unload on people - namely my children. good thing I'll be gone on saturday - have fun Christian!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

My name is Christian Darby and I'm a clothing designer. I tend to run into oddly interesting people and write about it, here in my blog. I also do a 'research & review' section each Friday where I cover different random topics.